How to Prepare a COE
1. Know your deadline
Your organization has your own unique deadline based on the date you joined the UN Global Compact or your previous COE submission. It is displayed on your organization’s public profile. Search for your profile.
New participants must submit their first COE two years after joining the initiative. Existing participants are required to submit their COEs two years after the last submission. For example, if the last submission took place on 6 April 2016, the next COE will be due on 6 April 2018. Participants that joined before 31 October 2013 are required to submit their first COE on or before 31 October 2015. Please note that all COEs are due at 23:00 UTC on the designated date.
2. Understand the COE requirements and Policy
The COE requirements and policy is available in 10 languages in our library. View the COE Policy in our library.
3. Define what type of report you will create and the reporting period
The following formats are accepted:
- A stand alone document
- Part of an annual financial report
- Part of another type of report
Define the period covered by the report (starting and ending dates).
4. Consult a list of suggested activities by type of organization
A list of suggested activities are available in multiple languages.
5. Prepare your report
- How much time do you need to report?
- What activities do you need to measure and/or collect on a regular basis during the year to report outcomes?
- Do not wait until the last minute. This requires time and preparation.
- Review your report using our checklist.
- If your organization does not have an existing report, consider using our COE Template.