Hotel Excelsior, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Making Global Goals Local Business - Croatia
Palais des Nations (United Nations Geneva Headquarters), Geneva, Switzerland
SSE 2018 Global Dialogue
Business for Peace Annual Event 2018
The UN Global Compact encourages you to create a culture of integrity across your business or organization, from strategy to operations. More than 8,000 participating companies and 4,000 non-business participants have already embraced the commitments of the UN Global Compact. To join them as part of the world’s largest global corporate sustainability initiative, you must voluntarily pledge to:
- Operate responsibly, in alignment with universal sustainability principles
- Take actions that support the society around you
- Commit to the effort from your organization’s highest level, pushing sustainability deep into your DNA
- Report annually on your ongoing efforts
- Engage locally where you have a presence
Effecting change begins with your organization’s leadership. To participate in the UN Global Compact, we require a commitment from your chief executive (or equivalent, for non-business entities) – with support from the Board. This commits your organization to meet fundamental responsibilities in four areas: human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. All four areas are important; responsible businesses know that good practices in one area do not offset harm in another.
Accountability also matters. We require all participants to produce an annual Communication on Progress that outlines your efforts to operate responsibly and support society. This could be part of your sustainability or annual report, or another public document. We post these communications on our website, too – and more than 28,000 have been issued by our participants to date.
What happens next?
To bring your commitment to life, we ask you to:
- Make the UN Global Compact and its principles an integral part of your business strategy, day-to-day operations and organizational culture
- Incorporate the UN Global Compact and its principles in decision-making processes at the highest levels
- Engage in partnerships that advance the UN Global Compact’s principles and support broader UN goals, such as the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Advance the UN Global Compact and the case for responsible business practices through advocacy and outreach to peers, partners, clients, consumers and the public at large
- Make an annual financial commitment to support the work of the UN Global Compact Office. This will enable us to continue providing ongoing support to thousands of participants like you who have committed to transforming our world.