United Nations Head Quarters, Conference Room 1
Africa: Open for Business Summit
International labour standards and corporate social responsibility
Child Labour Platform Global Meeting
The UN Global Compact offers internship opportunities in its New York office. The UN Global Compact pursues two complementary objectives:
- Making the UN Global Compact and its principles part of business strategy and operations everywhere; and
- Facilitating cooperation among key stakeholders by promoting partnerships and other collective action in support of UN goals.
DutiesDepending on their level of experience and training, UN Global Compact interns will:
- Conduct research relating to the topic of corporate sustainability, especially on human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption;
- Draft and edit publications, papers and other documents;
- Liaise with Global Compact stakeholders on key corporate sustainability topics;
- Support the organization of meetings and events;
- Assist with outreach activities;
- Handle email and other inquiries;
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned.
Learn more about the specific internship opportunities available with the Global Compact.
Duration and Period
Internships with the UN Global Compact are available for a duration of three to six months. The timing of internships is flexible. We encourage candidates to apply for the following sessions:
- Winter: January to March (3 months, with possibility of a 3-month extension thereafter)
- Spring: April to June (3 months, with possibility of a 3-month extension thereafter)
- Summer: July to September (3 months, possibility of 3-month extension thereafter)
- Winter: October to December (3 months, possibility of 3-month extension thereafter)
Please note that internships at UN Headquarters are unpaid. Interns must therefore be able to cover their costs of travel, accommodation, as well as living expenses during the internship period.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree programme (bachelors or second university degree, or higher) at the time of application and during the internship; or
- Under some circumstances, applicants may have graduated within less than one year to commence a UN internship.
Learn more about the eligibility criteria for internships with UN headquarters.
How to Apply
Those interested in pursuing an internship with the UN Global Compact must submit an online application at the UN Careers website.
Scroll down to the bottom of the homepage to the “Search Job Openings” section and select “Internship” under the Category field, and “New York” under the Duty Station field. Click on the Search button. This will lead you to a list of various internship openings. You will need to search for the UN Global Compact internship by Job Opening ID Number.
The Global Compact Internship Job Opening Numbers are:
- 96988 (October-December 2018 internship cycle)
- 101694 (January-March 2019 internship cycle)
Candidates are strongly recommended to pay attention to the job opening number to make sure that their applications reach the UN Global Compact Office.
The application deadlines for upcoming sessions are as below:
Fall 2018 (October to December 2018): Applications accepted from 14 May 2018 to 17 August 2018. Please apply to JO 96988.
Winter 2019 (January to March 2019): Applications accepted from 2 August 2018 to 31 October 2018. Please apply to JO 101694.
Due to the large number of applications received, only accepted interns will be notified a few weeks before the beginning of the session or within 4 weeks after each session's application deadline.