Convened by Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, the 2018 United Nations Private Sector Forum (New York, 24 September 2018) will provide an important opportunity for business leaders to join key Heads of State and UN Principals at the table for high-level discussions on peace, a major agenda item of the 73rd Regular Session of the UN General Assembly.
The Forum will feature high-level roundtable discussions between leaders from business, Government, civil society and the UN as well as keynote speeches and an intimate fireside chat to kick-off the discussions.
Violent conflict and instability disrupt markets and societies, and the scale of current humanitarian crises is unparalleled. In our deeply interconnected world, violent conflicts have global impacts and cannot be overlooked by any sector of society. Rising inequalities, rampant corruption, increased competition for scarce natural resources and climate change continue to bring about tensions that can accelerate the fragmentation of societies, exacerbate current conflict and create new ones.
In addressing ongoing conflicts in our world, the Secretary-General calls for "a holistic approach which prioritizes prevention, and addresses the root causes of conflict by integrating peace, sustainable development and human rights". The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are deeply related to peace, as they are both precursors to, and, a result of it. Although the primary responsibility for peace and security rests with Governments, businesses play a key role in ensuring that they do no harm and in and contributing to, and investing in, sustainable development and peace.
Constructive multi-stakeholder dialogue and collaboration between governments, the private sector and civil society are pre-requisites for comprehensive solutions that are required to build the foundation for achieving and sustaining peace and attaining the Global Goals
The Private Sector Forum will:
- Explore how the private sector and investors can take a principle-based approach to contribute to achieving the Global Goals and sustaining peace
- Strengthen the public-private dialogue by showcasing currently successful business initiatives with a specific Government, UN or civil society partnership component Showcase strong examples of cross-sector collaboration that build more peaceful and stable societies
- Highlight strong examples of commitments that support the realization of more peaceful and stable societies, and support companies in making new commitments
Invitation-only event with participation at the highest level:
- CEOs or C-suite officials from business
- Heads of State/Government
- Heads of UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes
- Heads of civil society organizations
- Heads of business associations, foundations and investor groups
*Registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis, with concerted efforts made by the UN Global Compact to ensure geographic, gender and sectoral representation.