With the Paris Agreement in force, businesses and investors have a critical role to play in climate-proofing our global economy and ensuring a swift transition to a low-carbon, resilient world. Today’s business leadership standards and commitments on climate change—from carbon pricing, science-based targets, sourcing 100 per cent renewable energy, adaptation, to responsible policy engagement—can be scaled significantly to become mainstream practice to keep our planet’s warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius. Now it is time for business leaders to implement climate action deep into local markets everywhere and pioneer a pathway forward to ensure a sustainable future for all.
Pathways to Low-Carbon & Resilient Development aims to mobilize the private sector to become a catalyst for enhancing country-level action to meet the ambitions of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The action platform will provide a collaborative space for companies and key stakeholders to share, learn, and identify effective ways to contribute to Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and SDG implementation.
Building on the decade’s work of Caring for Climate, the United Nations Global Compact is uniquely positioned to scale the progress made by business to date on global climate action and to translate it into country-level action through Global Compact Local Networks and UN partners. It will also provide a channel for the outcomes of the platform to feed into the larger non-state actor agenda of the Paris Agreement and its linkages to the SDGs.
- An alliance of 20-25 leading companies committed to strengthening both their global and national corporate goals and providing effective support to implementing the Paris Agreement and SDGs at the national level.
- A global gap analysis and set of knowledge products that define synergies, opportunities, trade-offs, and complements between NDC and SDG plans in countries.
- A set of high-level recommendations for both businesses and policymakers that outline a pathway for accelerating ambitious national climate and sustainable development targets.
Benefits of engaging
- Opportunity to participate in a series of policy dialogues, industry-level workshops and relevant global and national climate and SDG conferences
- Receive practical insights, knowledge and tools on key trends in climate policy and related impact for business and finance at the country-level
- Opportunity to contribute to key UN and international processes on climate and development
- Receive guidance on enhancing climate and development integration into corporate business planning
Activities and events
- Global and country-level multi-stakeholder consultations on private sector contribution to NDC and SDG action plans
- Provide input to key knowledge products on corporate goal setting for climate and development
- Participate in Making Global Goals Local Business: India – session on climate and development and in-person consultation on country engagement and selection (26-28 April, New Delhi)
- In-person events include:
- 26-28 April: Making Global Goals Local Business – India: A session on climate and development and in-person consultation on country engagement and selection
- Week of 18 September: Business and Government Roundtable on NDC and SDGs in New York (C-suite level participation)
- Week of 13 November: High-Level Meeting on Climate Change at COP 23 in Bonn (C-suite level participation)