The Breakthrough Innovation Challenge aims to bring together young intrapreneuers from leading multinational companies to design future sustainable business models powered by disruptive technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain and Internet of Things.
The year-long programme developed in partnership with the DO School, combines workshops, field trips, case competitions and online collaboration. Participation is open to current LEAD Participants and companies that have been previously invited to join LEAD. Companies can nominate up to three young intrapreneuers from different business units (e.g. Sustainability, R&D and Business Development) to form a team that will lead the company’s participation in the programme. The programme will start on January 2018 and will conclude in September 2018. Participation entails 10-12 days of in-person meetings across 4 workshops combined with online training.
Company Challenges, Future Business Models
As a core part of the programme, each participating company will define a challenge specific to their company. These challenges will focus on future business models at the intersection of sustainability and disruptive innovation, for example:
|Utility company||How can digital technologies enable ‘sharing economy’ platforms to accelerate the production and distribution of renewable energy in remote areas?|
|Pharmaceutical company||What business models can be built around the Internet of Things to enhance the health of a growing aging population?|
Company teams will be responsible for developing a solution to the company-defined challenge. As part of the program, participants will then be challenged and inspired by next generation innovators, thought-leaders, entrepreneurs and students. They will be able to apply insights from Project Breakthrough to explore solutions to their challenges and collaboratively design and test different types of business models that leverage disruptive technology. Specific resources designed to help company teams generate solutions include:
- Exponential thought-leaders who will serve as team mentors and share their insights on disruptive technologies and business model innovation throughout the programme.
- Field trips to global innovation hubs to build knowledge of business models powered by breakthrough technologies in various contexts.
- Collaborative learning experiences with teams from leading companies to share insights and emerging approaches.
By the end of the programme, participants will have:
- Received inspiration and ideas from a variety of innovators, entrepreneurs and students
- Designed 2-3 specific business models that address a challenge faced by their company; and
- Tested the most promising opportunities.
Participants will present their solutions at the Global Compact Leaders Summit 2018, which will focus on the theme of Breakthrough Innovations for the SDGs.
Learn more and participate
To learn more about the programme please send an email to Ms. Rosedel Davies-Adewebi.