Aligned with the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact and the UN Sustainable Development Goals – particularly Goal 16 – the Action Platform for Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (“Action Platform”) aims to develop and promote global business standards in understanding, implementing and reporting on businesses’ engagement in these areas.
From now through 2021, the Action Platform will provide a forum for policy dialogue between Governments, businesses, the UN and civil society that results in concrete action towards improving accountability, integrity and transparency within businesses and the countries where they operate.
Objectives of the Action Platform
- Foster innovation by developing a normative framework and driving bold leadership
- Strengthen the enabling environment by providing guidance to businesses on improving corporate/shared values through Goal 16 advocacy and providing a platform for strengthening partnerships through Global Compact Local Networks
Participants: Anglo American, APCO Worldwide, Assent Compliance, Enel, Leonardo, Linklaters, LRN Corporation, Oando, RELX, Safaricom, Sumitomo Chemical, Thomson Reuters and White & Case.
Partners: UN-led Global Alliance for Reporting Progress for Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies, PeaceNexus, Transparency International, World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and World Economic Forum Partnering Against Corruption Initiative (PACI)
Global Compact Local Networks: Brazil, Canada, Colombia, France, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Malaysia, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA
- A Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation (“Statement”)
On 21 September 2020, the UN Global Compact announced that more than 1,000 Chief Executive Officers from companies in over 100 countries demonstrated their support for the United Nations and global cooperation through peace, justice and strong institutions. See the full list of signatories here.
- Virtual Country Consultation Process
From September to December 2020, the UN Global Compact Action Platform for Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions will host full-day Consultation Workshops across all regions of the world, bringing together private sector, UN agencies, Governments and civil society to inform the Understand, Implement, Report Framework (working title), the global standard for business engagement on Goal 16.
By convening business stakeholders and others together to discuss their understanding of the targets of Goal 16, and examples of implementation at the national level, the Action Platform will provide outputs including individual Country Reports, and a larger Global Synthesis Report.
Objectives of the Country Consultations
- Facilitate a top-down/bottom-up approach for exploring global trends and focusing on country context
- Strengthen relationships between business, Government, the UN and civil society in a given country with the intention of identifying and prioritizing Goal 16-related issues and promoting collective action towards policy development and strategic partnerships.
For more information, please contact Christina Koulias at email@example.com or Michelle Breslauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.