Fair Trade and Rural Development, Carrefour and its Int'l Foundation
Carrefour and the International Carrefour Foundation are carrying out in Bolivia a program on Fair Trade and lasting development that is based on the philosophy of the Global Compact principles.
Conscious of the difficulties encountered by the producers' cooperative in the developing countries, Carrefour has decided to be implied in the chasing, buying and marketing of the Quinoa production, cultivated on the Bolivian altiplano.
Therefore, jointly with a local organism (Jatary), Carrefour has taken into consideration the producers who respect the principles of biologic cultivation and two disposals:
- Respect an approximately 15% higher purchase price of the harvest than the market price
- And, transfer about 5% of the purchase price to an NGO that acts locally in order to enforce schooling and allow access to primary healthcare.
By means of the International Foundation, Carrefour has also been able to make a local evaluation in order to determine the quality of the manufacturing process and the relevance of the education and health actions considered.
With this program, Carrefour and its International Foundation have decided to join their efforts to carry out every year, using new programs, this action-synergy: supporting equitable commerce projects connected to specific rural and lasting development actions (education and schooling of the underprivileged population and, construction of healthcare structures).Formation, equipment of school and school bus service
- School stationery and material equipment for the classes
- Formation for children and adults
- Daily food for children
- Bus service to take the children daily to school
Dispensary equipment, construction and operation
- The construction of the dispensary integrally financed by Carrefour in 2002-2003 and inaugurated in May 2003
- Doctor and nurse remuneration (2 X 3 days per month)
- Training of three nurses to be able to ensure daily permanence
- Equipment of the dispensary and help in order to regularly supply the necessary drugs
- Regular cheek-up for the children and an evaluation care card to understand the needs and diseases that are most frequently encountered.
Local and rural development Program
- Technical support to the quinoa production (selection of the seeds, biologic harvest treatment, system of compost help)
- Technical support for a better management of the territory and to preserve the natural resources in the Bolivian ecosystem located on the altiplano.
- Support to the producers organizations for their exportation and sales in the local market.
NoneNote: Responsibility for the content of Case Stories and any other public communication related to the Global Compact principles and their implementation lies with participants themselves and not with the UN Global Compact Office.