Department/Office: Foundation for the Global Compact
Duty Station: New York
The Foundation for the Global Compact seeks a highly motivated Web Development professional to support technology solutions for the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. The Foundation for the Global Compact directly supports the United Nations Global Compact which is a call to companies to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and take actions that advance societal goals.
The Senior Web Developer will both report to, and work closely with the Head of Information Technology and will be at the forefront of creating and re-vamping technology solutions that will allow the organization and individuals within it to thrive in the face of new strategic and cultural expectations. The Senior Web Developer will manage the implementation of the organization's open-source technology solutions, this includes application development, maintenance and where needed refactoring of existing systems. The UN Global Compact has set an objective to implement a modern digital strategy to better connect with our network of 12,000+ organizations around the world. The Senior Web Developer will bring insightful and innovative ideas for how this digital strategy can be shaped and with the Head of Information Technology will lead a lean, talented team to bring this strategy to life. You will be expected to have a strong web development background, with the ability to work full stack.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Web Developer will create user information solutions by developing, implementing, and maintaining internet/intranet applications as well as leading a team of developers. The Senior Web Developer will be relied upon to make decisions on how to implement technology solutions that are being requested by organizational leadership. These responsibilities include:
- Design, implement and maintain new features on the UN Global Compact website using Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, MySQL, CSS, HTML and other programming languages.
- Evaluate, on a continual basis, the UN Global Compact’s database and website to identify problems and potential improvements to the overall functionality of the system; perform backups of database as needed.
- Complete applications development by coordinating requirements, schedules, and activities; contributing to team meetings; troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Lead a team of web developers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
- Work in coordination with web development service providers on design and development of new website features and functionality.
- Recommend system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and purchase alternatives.
- Monitor the web hosting provider and its delivery of web hosting services; ensure that the web hosting provider promptly remedies any issues that arise.
- Gather feedback from database end-users about functionality on a continual basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Web Development Expertise: Including specializations in web user interface design, web programming skills, software requirements, software architecture, software development fundamentals, object-oriented design, multimedia content development, software debugging, technical leadership.
- Ethical Practice: Ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Leadership and Navigation: Proven ability to lead and develop a team; engage and motivate others and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization.
- Critical Evaluation: Ability to gather and interpret data to support making business decisions and recommendations. Ability to thrive in a complex environment and distill complex situations.
- Agility: Fast, curious learner who questions the status quo and is capable of making sense of complexity. Ability to connect actions / decisions to broader (downstream) implications and can adapt to achieve results.
- Communication: Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively; listen to others; correctly interpret messages; effectively convey information; demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Environmental & Organizational Awareness: Leverage environmental & organizational insight to improve talent and business outcomes; demonstrates enterprise thinking. Ability to understand the organization’s overall strategy, operations and organisational model.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness: Ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all individuals.
- Relationship Management: Ability to manage interactions to provide service and to support the organization.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Education: A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information technology, computer engineering, human-computer interaction, or related area. Sufficient qualifying experience may be accepted instead of a first level university degree.
- Work Experience: A minimum of six years of progressive experience in web development. Knowledge of programming languages Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, MySQL, CSS and HTML are essential.
- Please include the following materials in your e-mail submission to email@example.com with the subject heading “Senior Web Developer”:
- Personal statement of what interests you about this job opportunity.
- Please assure that your material includes a link to your Github (or similar) profile
Given the anticipated volume of submissions, only highly qualified candidates will be contacted.