Taking a Principles-based Approach to the Global Goals
UNHQ (ECOSOC Chamber)
2018 Women’s Empowerment Principles Forum
Multinational enterprises, development and decent work: the approach of the MNE Declaration
Open Call for Nominations
The United Nations Global Compact is calling for nominations for its advisory board in 2018.
We are looking to fill up to ten open Board seats and encourage the submission of qualified chief executive-level candidates from business and civil society whose organizations actively engage in the work of the UN Global Compact.
The deadline for submitting a nomination is 28 FEBRUARY 2018.
**If you are unable to submit your nomination using the above link, please complete the following PDF Nomination Form that can be submitted via e-mail**
About the UN Global Compact Board
The UN Global Compact Board, appointed and chaired by the United Nations Secretary-General, is designed as a multi-stakeholder body that provides on-going strategic and policy advice to the Secretary-General and the UN Global Compact. The Board has 25 seats that represent all key partners and participants of the UN Global Compact, including business, civil society, labour, Local Networks, Governments and UN partners with the majority of seats going to business.
The UN Global Compact Board holds formal meetings twice annually. Outside of meetings, Board Members are expected to serve as champions willing and able to actively advance the mission of the UN Global Compact to mobilize a global movement of responsible companies and stakeholders to create the world we want.
The UN Global Compact is committed to gender parity on its Board and encourages the submission of female candidates. To achieve a diverse Board, geographic distribution will also be sought to represent the broad spectrum of participants of the UN Global Compact initiative.
Nominees for Board membership should:
- have a deep understanding of, and actively champion, the UN Global Compact and its Ten Principles;
- be highly committed and dedicate the time needed to fully participate in the activities of the Board;
- demonstrate impeccable moral character with a strong commitment to the core values of the United Nations;
- currently hold the top leadership position (i.e., Chief Executive Officer) in a company or other organization;
- in the case of business participants, they should have the confidence of the Global Compact Local Network (if one exists) in their home country;
- and the company they lead should be a UN Global Compact participant in good standing, operating at the highest standards of the Ten Principles.
Please refer to the UN Global Compact Board Member Terms of Reference for additional information on the eligibility criteria for, and expectations of, Board Membership.
Process & Timeline
The UN Global Compact Board nomination process will be conducted according to the following timeline in 2018:
- 17 JAN – 28 FEB: Open call for nominations from participants of the UN Global Compact, including Global Compact Local Networks and LEAD companies
- 1 MAR – 22 MAR: Conduct nomination follow-ups and due diligence process
- 23 MAR: Submit official Board Member recommendations list to UN Secretary-General
- 16 APR: Finalize and communicate Board Member appointments
Note: Appointments to the Board of the UN Global Compact are at the sole discretion of the UN Secretary-General.