OMV Community development project in the desert area of Pakistan (Province of Sindh)
At present OMV Pakistan has 480 employees in Pakistan, of whom 96% are Pakistani nationals. Some 65% of the workforce are working at the production locations, and the other 35% are stationed in the capital, Islamabad. During construction of the gas treatment plant at the Sawan field, the Australian lead contractors, Clough Engineering, employed up to 3,000 workers.
The project involved the construction of a sour gas processing plant, the gas pipelines that link the seven wells into the system, as well as the entire infrastructure (access roads, airstrips and buildings).
OMV policy required Clough to recruit most of the skilled labor needed for the project in the host country. Large-scale on-the-job training programs were mounted to ensure that the workers had the necessary skills to do their jobs safely and comply with official regulations. Special attention is and was paid to site safety.
In its Pakistan operations, OMV is committed to a highly responsible approach not just to employees but also to the environment and local people. Over a period of ten years, OMV has carried out 14 environmental impact assessments (EIAs); each project stage has been preceded by an EIA. Social impact assessments are an integral part of all EIAs, and OMV Pakistan therefore looks closely at local socio-economic conditions. Baseline surveys were conducted in order to obtain an objective picture of the needs of local people in the Miano and Sawan concession areas. This enabled OMV to establish welldesigned and sustainable Community Development Programs (CDP) for the communities in the areas affected by our operations.
The surveys revealed that drinking water, health, education, transport infrastructure and employment were the main needs that the CDPs should address.OMV is making a sincere effort to involve local people in development projects, focusing on capacity building rather than traditional donor-beneficiary relationships.
OMV community development approach, whereby localpeople are always involved in planning, implementingand managing projects, ensures that OMV humanitarianaid truly meets their needs.
Through needs assessment and baseline surveys, OMVhas been able to tap into local resources and enhancetheir capacity. By improving the communitys quality oflife through this direct interface, OMV aims to leave alasting footprint in a sustainable manner.
Local social sector development based on communitypriorities, needs and requirements.
Community motivation, mobilization, organization andtraining for maximum and effective participation indevelopment projects.
Local human and material resource development.
Transferring project responsibility to local communityorganizations for security, sustainability andempowerment.
STAGE I : Baseline Survey, Community Awareness &Motivation, Pilot Project Planning & Resource Allocation.
STAGE II: Implementation of Pilot Projects, CommunityOrganization & Training.
STAGE III: Strengthening & Review of Pilot Projects;Monitoring / Evaluation; Ongoing Community Training.
STAGE V: Replication of Successful Projects;Community Empowerment.The project is financed by OMV. Within the income generation of the CDP, people are able to create sustainable projects and to be completely independent from OMV.Millennium Development Goals:
Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger:
Supply and development of potable water sourcesIncome generation, credit & employment schemes
Land and property rent / compensations
Achieve universal primary education:
Re-activation of non-functional government schools
Opening of non-formal primary schools
Upgrading high schools / teachers training
Promote gender equality and empower women
Female Wing for women awareness & organization
Promoting local handicrafts to increase income
Model villages with women-operated projects
Reduce child mortality
Improve maternal health
Village health clinics, MCH centers, extension oftaluka/district hospitals, medical camps, EPI support
Training of female health workers / veterinary careEnsure environmental stability
Water development, plant nurseries, afforestation
Reduction of waste & emissions, more recycling,better energy efficiency & regular impact monitoring
Community people have to be involved in every stage of the project; every step has to be done at their own pace. Communities decide about their priorities.
NoneNote: Responsibility for the content of Case Stories and any other public communication related to the Global Compact principles and their implementation lies with participants themselves and not with the UN Global Compact Office.